Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Word Up






















My vocabulary is quite limited. Yesterday, through conversation or reading I ran into some new words that humbled me. I'm going to try to use them everyday this week. I'll be giving myself bonus points if I can use them all in one sentence!

insipid- without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid:

thaumaturge -a worker of wonders or miracles; magician.

pugilism-The skill, practice, and sport of fighting with the fists; boxing.

Anybody have some words I should add to my vernacular this week? (Doppleganger is definitely in there!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ran across the word "venality" when I was preparing for my sermon last week. You may already know it, but it is: "the use of power or position for dishonest gain." Scary and selfish word.

Anonymous said...

lackadaisical: without interest, vigor, or determination; listless; lethargic: a lackadaisical attempt.

ethereal: heavenly; celestial


both favorites of mine...of course, you may already know them, but i think they are fun to say.