Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Good Friend

Did you know there are only 5 weekends in May? I realized that last night while talking with some friends. Now I'm challenged with being in two different states for two different commitments during the same weekend.

That's a good example of my life recently...the last weeks I've been pleasantly occupied but frustrated.

In this jumble I haven't been a very good friend lately. Last night, after realizing I'm going to have to make some phone calls, I started thinking about a lot of my friends....when was the last time we hung out...oh, I forgot to call him back...did he ever hear back about that job offer?...when is her graduation?...we need to get coffee like we use to...

I don't hear people talk about what makes a good friend. I'm not sure why. We have all kinds of relational books, even in the "Christian World," but not many about friendship. What makes for a good friend?


Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
John 15:13-15


2 comments:

KT said...

I think this relates back to your post on unconditional love. My mom, dad, and brother are the people I consider to be my best friends. One of the primary reasons for that is that they've always accepted me for who I am, encouraging me to grow but not ever making their love conditional upon me changing. I know that no matter how many mistakes I make or how many times we argue, they'll still be there by my side. (Trust goes hand in hand with that.) We may not, as humans, ever be capable of completely loving unconditionally the way that God does, but we can definitely work to grow in that area.

Oddly enough, the verses you quoted are what my dad spoke on in church Sunday. Weird coincidence? Or maybe not. =)

Mike Moore said...

Thanks KT. I definitely thought of my parents and siblings when writing this post. The unconditional love and acceptance they offer is perplexing and amazing.

That is a weird coincidence that your Dad spoke on that passage. I think your Dad and I could totally be friends!