Monday, August 14, 2006

cheers Scotland

I leave tomorrow. Just in case you were wondering, yes, I am looking forward to a 7 hour plane ride devoid of reading material! As long as the movie choices aren’t Dirty Dancing or A Walk to Remember I think I’ll survive.

I’ve been meaning to write this entry for a long time. There are a lot of things I could mention, fond memories, highlights, etc…but those have all been captured in past entries of this blog.

I anticipated that I would have mixed emotions upon returning to the States, and I was right. However, I did not expect to find it so hard leaving Scotland. To be honest, there is no place I am really able to deem “home.” Sure, I tell everyone I am from Chicago, but, in reality, I have only spent a few months there every year for the past four years.

More or less, Naperville, was my parents home and just a long stopover for the summers (where I spent two of them hardly in Naperville) and breaks. Bluffton (Ohio) is more of a home to me because of the amount of time spent there, but, I have obviously graduated and moved on. Charlotte (Michigan) ceased being home to me when I graduated high school, although my fondest memories are in the Great Lakes state. So….what does this mean?

I am leaving a place where I have become very comfortable. I have a big group of friends, a flat that I love, a job I enjoy, a city I can’t get enough of, and a church I feel at ease with. Those are a lot of things to be giving up. When I move to Lombard I am going to an area where I really only know my brother, sister, brother-in-law, and a few random acquaintances. Whereas all my friends here are close and near, in the U.S. they are scattered across the Mid-west and even from coast to coast.

This isn’t to say that I don’t want to return. I am just realizing how much I will miss Scotland.

Things I’ll miss…

Fish and Chips
Bicycle lanes
Strong Currency
Mild winters
Football (soccer)
Friends
Pubs
Pickle spread
The Scottish accent


There are more, but that is more or less just a random list

Well, I think that is all for now. I am not sure if I will write in this blog anymore. It is just as popular to make in fun of blogs as it is to write them! I admit before I poked fun at blogs but justified this one because I was away from many friends and family. However, I realize this is a good way to keep in contact with people and let them know what is going on in my life. I won’t commit to retiring it yet; rather, it might just slowly whiter away. However, I hope that I post some more entries and let you know how I am adjusting to a strange weird lifestyle in the U.S.A.! Thanks for reading my ramblings this year.

No comments: