Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Vote, Unless You Are A Moron.














You'll know my view on this image when you are done reading.

O.k. here it goes. I'm laying it out there. This post is months overdue and been going for months in my head. Being that it is really late and I feel an obligation to post I apologize about the lack of scholarship involved.

This year the issue for me isn't who to vote for. The issue is am I even going to vote in the first place. Why? Well Dave Fitch and Mark Van Steenwyk tell it better. I can give gobs of reasons why I am dismayed with the American political system. I truly think to even get into a position where someone could be elected the President of the United States requires an ethics and perspective that is counter to Christ. Plainly put, I think the system is corrupt. (But even though it is corrupt it is better than most and I am grateful for that) Just because voting is my right as a citizen does not make it my responsibility. (I have the right to carry arms but it isn't my responsibility). Having the right to vote gives me the luxury (an amazing luxury only available because of what others have done) to choose whether or not I want to participate. I have not forgotten that my forefathers were spurred on by a vision for democracy. Their actions are so close to my heart but those actions do not obligate me to vote. Rather, they give me the opportunity to do so, and for that I say "thank-you."

This is my concern. Voting has become too big. There are countless ways to be political. There are countless ways that you are political everyday without realizing it. Where do you shop? Where do you buy gas? Did you support a cause? Did you share your views on the elections today? What kind of music did you listen to today? Did you recycle? Did you give to the poor? Did you carpool today? Check out this creative list.

My concern is that voting has become the way to be political. instead of being a spoke on the wheel it is the wheel. As a result we have decreased and neglected the other ways to be involved in the political process. I can write a blog, ride my bike, shop locally, preach at church, read about current issues, pray, BUT if I don't vote than I'm neglecting my duty. I think going into the polls on November 4th, voting, and getting a sticker doesn't make you political. What makes you political is how you live your life, even if that means being a moron.

2 comments:

Daniel Hershberger said...

I am kind of glad to be away from the states during this time. I won't be voting. I didn't send out for the absentee ballot. I actually have yet to vote. My theory stands at this: behind anyone that wants to be president, I see either a personality or psycological disorder. Either narcissistic, egotistical, or any number of messianic complexes. I think of it this was: all the people I trust, respect and admire deeply would never ever want to think of being president. Like you, Mike. I would vote for you.....but, thank God, you know Jesus too well to ever run. (don't ever prove me wrong on this)

Anonymous said...

great post! i have struggled with this myself. i have often had to remind myself that if voting is a privilege, than not voting is also a privilege. that said, i still don't know what i'm going to do this election...
-tales