Friday, December 12, 2008

A Matter of Life and Death

















I know everyone is overjoyed that my brief blog sabbatical is over. After the e-mail and Facebook threats I caved in.

This post dates back to Black Friday...

On the evening of Black Friday I was flipping through the television. For some reason there was a BBC news feed and the British reporter was covering United States news. Now I have always thought Black Friday to be a joke and a sad example of America's obsession with consumerism. But this neutral report made me embarrassed. Authentically embarassed.

The news anchor explained, "Today in the United States was the holiday Black Friday."

I thought, "A holiday? People are defining this as a holiday."

He went on, " a day that almost rivals their annual celebration of Thanksgiving."

I thought, "How ironic that a day after being thankful for all we have we than go out to buy things we don't have."

Than came to worse part of the report. A man at a Wal-Mart in New York was trampled to death while people rushed the store. I than remembered my copy of Christianity Today (Nov). The lead article described the thousands of people lining up and fighting for food after devastating floods. Around 4 people were killed in the madness.

How sad. All the deaths are tragic but what struck me the most was the sheer contrast.

The Haitians flock for food. They gather for something to keep them alive and sustain them. We flock for good deals. We gather for something to purchase and enjoy.

If we had a better perspective on Thanksgiving/Christmas than perhaps Black Friday would be a day of sharing with people the things we are so thankful for. Like food for the Haitians.

I'm not trying to be a downer but just hoping to be a gentle reminder about blessing people this season, and all seasons. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is extremely sad, isn't it? what a materialistic society we have become. your post reminded me of the song "Do They Know it's Christmas" (by Band Aid).

Anonymous said...

at least nov 29th is International Buy Nothing Day...it's a start(though not widely practiced.)

-- Rick

Dan said...

I had no idea the world knew how horrible we were. I am also embarrassed.

John Lynch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Lynch said...

It is a terribly odd thing to be trampled to death for a DVD player that's 25% off. How do you think his obituary read?