Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I'll help you get this book....

I read a lot of books for school. The good is that there is a lot I've learned. The bad is that I've learned how to surface read. With so much literature to knock out in a given week I've developed the skill of being able to skim, write, and summarize without fully abiding in the text.

All to say I am almost done with the best book I have ever read. It is called, Beyond Homelessness: Christian Faith in a culture of Displacement.

Let me say this is not a liberal-social-justice book about helping the homeless. That concern takes up about 20 pages. This is the idea; we live in a world where people don't have a home. Whether you are on the streets, a traveling businessman, or a young adult who changes jobs and friends on a whim, we are an exiled people. We just don't know how to stay rooted in a place. Our culture encourages migrancy and consumerism advocates for temporary investment.

Enough said. This is the first book I have ever read and am willing to buy for people. Not for a gift but because I think everyone should read it. Granted I don't have loads of cash but if you are interested in it let me know and I'll seriously get you a copy somehow. (Library loan, my copy, purchase a copy). It's that good.

Note: I wrote this post last week and since than have already found a temporary home for it. Also I'm not employed by the authors, I just like the book

No comments: