Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What's the word?

But are we? Are we made to be happy? [...]why are we so perpetually in search of it [...] what are we missing that will consummate it?
-Adam Graber

I wish Adam would get with the program and post again. I'm half joking and three-fifths serious because his previous post really intrigued me. So I am going to gank his stream of ideas.

My thoughts center on the word happy in the Bible. In the Greek the word is makarios. Depending on the translation the word is used differently

Blessed (makarios) are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. (Matt. 5:9 TNIV)

But the word makarios also means happy

Happy (makarios) are the peacemakers -- because they shall be called Sons of God. (Matt 5:9 YLT)


Even in the Hebrew, (like Psalm 1:1 and 119:1) the word esher often translated as blessed also means happy

I do not interpret happy and blessed to be the same thing. In my modern translation (even though I'm so post-modern...haha) this is the definition

happy=state of mind, like being in a good mood.
blessed=state of being, like having money.

If happy=blessed how does that change our pursuit of happiness?


(By the way the end of the movie Pursuit of Happyness.... terrible ending)





3 comments:

John Lynch said...

I had a buddy who posted a while ago that he was giving up on happiness in this life. It was a statement of intent to stop his search for feeling good and accept that life is hard but God is still good and worth obeying.

I've never come to peace with his post in my own heart.

As long as there is sin in this world, we will grieve without ceasing. But as long as there is glory in this world - and we're attached to it via Christ - then don't we also have great impetus for rejoicing without ceasing?

Can't we grieve and rejoice at the same time... all the time?

John Lynch said...

Adam's a genius... I love reading his mind-speak.

John Lynch said...

P.S.

As soon as Aleta and I move... I think I'm joining a city-league soccer team with guys in the community. Does THAT make you happy??? =)