Saturday, March 29, 2008

Word for the Day

When I was in high school my English teacher got a gift for his birthday. It was a free subscription to the now defunct website once listed at www.wordsmith.com. The process involved filling in your e-mail address and automatically geting a new word sent to you everyday.

First, that is an awful birthday gift. Look I am all about being cheap and creative and sentimentel but come on. Seriously. Is that the best you can do? The idea sounded great to me and I actually subscribed for about one year even though I quit opening the e-mails after about a week. I like to learn new words and what they mean but am pure rubbish at putting them into practice.

Every once in ahwhile a new word will absolutely capture what was void in my vernacular.
When describing my relationship with God the word I frequently think of is personal. Many cry against this word because it alludes to a "me and only me" spirituality. Sure, I agree, a personal relationship with God is not a simple two way conversation. It does include the social aspect of caring for our neighbor.

I'll unpack this more later, but the word I am choosing is perichoretic

No comments: