Saturday, May 17, 2008

What's My Name Again


My new co-worker said to me this week, "Your name is Michael Moore?" "Like the movie-guy?" "I bet you get that a lot!"

Yeah I do. Especially when I was in Scotland. I think he is more popular there because the general population loathes President Bush.

While working at the ropes course the group was from the local high school. I taught the kids before in different classes. So my name changed from Mr. Moore to Mike. Next week it is going to be Mr. Moore again.

There is a huge difference between "What is your name?" and "What are you called?"

My name is Michael David Moore. But nobody calls me that. I don't even like the name Michael because it sounds formal. I suppose Mike is more casual and that reflects the type of person I want to be.

I have friends we call by their initials, last names, or nicknames. They have a name but that isn't what they are called.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post so I'll let this ferment....

No comments: