Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Will I some day be driving a mini-van?

I've made this point to some of my friends in the past week.












I complain about the suburbs. How it is the standard-yuppie-cookie-cutter-white-suburban-affluent-safe-comfortable-keeping-up-with-the-Joneses lifestyle that breeds a life of isolated existence and narcassisitic focus.

Ok. That is harsh. And not true. But still there are several things about the suburbs I can lament.

However, however, there are many things about the suburbs I like. Chief among them is the people.

Check this. Where I live I can easily find 100 like minded young adults like myself with similar values, convictions, and beliefs. I'm going to say within a 5 mile radius I can find these people.

Where I went to school and where I grew up (country towns) it would take probably a 30 mile radius. I'm not exaggerating.

Here in the suburbs of Chicago, in Lombard, I am so close to so many young adults. Not only young adults but also Christian young adults. The seminary obviously provides that opportunity but so does having Wheaton so close by and the booming suburb of Naperville. The churches here are huge. I easily find at least 5 churches within 15 minutes that boast over 1,000 people every Sunday. And you know what? Each of these churches will boast at least (if not more) 25-50 young adults each Sunday morning.

All that being said, I like the suburbs because it makes finding people I want to have friendships with easy. It does. I can easily find people to connect with and you know what? I love that.

But just because it's easy doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Does it?

No comments: