Monday, September 29, 2008

Whoops


The title of this post is the first word to my mind when I finished the 5k. I think a combination of adrenaline, rest, and good preparation helped me beat my goal time.

Thanks to Adam for doing the bragging that I don't feel comfortable doing (see post below). Which got me thinking about my difficulty accepting praise. We place a high value on receiving a compliment and shrugging it off like it was no big thing. Whenever we receive praise instead of affirming it for what it is we like to skirt the matter and move on. It is like there is added value in being able to say "thank-you for the recognition but it's not necessary." So with that in mind thanks to all those people who affirmed my race. I appreciate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean- sometimes it feels like I'm sinning if I accept a compliment or I feel like I don't deserve it if it's for something that wasn't hard for me to do in the first place. Sometimes I would just rather not receive a compliment so i wouldn't have to humbly gulp it down and cringe at the weird after-taste. Congratulations on your running time!