Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Christ is not Sympathetic.

Adam wasn't the only one convicted at that conversation. Let's be a little more honest! Sarah said, "You guys (both of us) are cynical."

I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty cynical. I remember in my sophomore Advanced American History class my friend had just learned what the word "pessimist" meant. He was quick to tell me I was a pessimist. He was like a little kid who just learned a new word and he delighted in labeling me. I delighted in telling him to quit talking because I was sick of listening to his voice (I know, I'm so kind!)

I think our generation is inherently cynical. Our parents lived during a time where education and hard work could provide financial and family stability. They grew up with the values of the 50s and in a world where things were somewhat secure.

But they also grew up during the time of the World Wars and human failures. Thus we were birthed into a time where families split up, there is no authority in Christianity, violence in schools is typical, violence overseas is the norm, one educational degree means you just have one, and the minute you get a job it could be outsourced to India. Our President's have lied, our athletes cheated, and even reality TV is scripted.

Overall we are a generation of cynics. We find it difficult to trust. If I am speaking too broadly I apologize, perhaps I am projecting my feelings too generally. But I think I would find some sympathizers.

I am challenged because I find no sympathy for cynicism in Christ.

I find that cynicism is diametrically opposed to the kind of hope that Christ ushers into humanity. Despite our failing and sin there is a reality to live in that is not of this world. A reality that came (Jesus incarnated as sent by the Father) is here (as witnessed by the Holy Spirit), and is yet to come (the culmination of history, when "Jesus returns").

That is the real reality. That Jesus redeems the brokenness of this world and calls us to live in the hope of love. Not a distant future hope but a budding hope that blossoms everyday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Adam. Christians ought all to have an "eschatology of hope," regardless of the particulars of biblical interpretation of select passages. We have hope that the cosmos that God loved will be redeemed. Until then all creation groans in anticipation.

I think cynicism is the logical conclusion of an intelligent mind that has rejected Christ. True discernment requires that eschatology of hope.

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

Thanks for checking it out Christopher! This is actually my friend Mike's post. Mine will be up today or tomorrow.

I'd like to explore that idea of an "eschatology of hope" more. Good to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and Mike is right. Sarah said it to both of us. I didn't want to indict Mike without his consent.