Saturday, February 09, 2008

Rememeber this Information!

If I had access to the Internet I would look up some statistic that cites how much information we are bombarded with everyday.  I'm sure it's a lot.
 
Much of this is due to our inter-connectivity.  75 years ago I wouldn't have access to the weather in Hong Kong or hear about the new CD my favorite band is going to produce.  I don't think that technology is bad, after all it enables me to write this post and some random guy in Texas to read it! 
 
I'm reading a lot about Urban Ministry and one author cites that people live with "mental blinkers" that help them filter their experiences.  Because of overload we let a lot of information pass through without noting it's significance. 
 
The danger is that we live with a short memory.  We let the information hit us and than we discard it.  Not because it isn't significant but because we are bombarded with so much information we need to prepare for the next wave.
 
I think that is true of our lives in Christ.  It is easy to forget God's faithfulness.  It is easy to forget God's grace.  It is easy to loose perspective.  It's hard to remember.  It's hard to pause.  It's hard to be steadfast.
 
But all it takes is a moment.  A moment to remember what God has done and will do.  And that change what we do. 
 
So our ordinary lives are transformed into extraordinary worship.  Through something as powerful as memory our simple acts, like sharing table fellowship, have cosmic power.
 
do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.  For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
 
1 Corinthians 11:25
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: